Many therapists have created online courses or have thought about creating an online course. It’s one of the best ways to increase your visibility, establish your expertise, and expand your audience and impact in the world. The course creation journey is not an easy one, and it’s full of challenges and ups and downs. Join us for a transparent look at the process from today’s guest!
Our Featured Guest
Linda Murphy, MEd, MA, LMHC
Linda Murphy is a group practice owner in Florida, and she’s a member of the STC Online Course Mastermind group for therapists. Linda is the founder of the Banana Man Society and the Relationship and Divorce Counseling Center. She developed her idea to create a course for dealing with a difficult person because she saw that topic come up often for her clients, and she realized over time that there had to be a better way to distill and share information beyond 1:1 therapy. She created “Banana Man” as a metaphor for dealing with a difficult person–and the Banana Man Society was born. In this session, Linda gives an open, honest look at her course creation journey, along with insights into how she refined her idea. She shares tips and strategies she has learned that might be helpful to others in the course creation process.
- How to embrace the mindset of connection, support, and collaboration
- How Linda realized in her first career, as a teacher, that connection is more important than content
- How Linda developed the idea for her online course
- The origins of Banana Man as a metaphor for options in dealing with difficult people
- Why Linda created an animated video of the Banana Man story (through the STC Mastermind group)
- Linda’s best tips for others about creating a successful online course:
- Lean into who you are and be authentic.
- Market yourself and be creative with social media.
- Where Linda sees her course going in the future with a specifically targeted niche
- Linda’s thoughts about the impact and benefits of the STC Online Course Mastermind group
Interested in becoming part of our affiliate program? Learn more at
Want to launch your online course?
Please check out our free 7-Day Course Creator Starter Kit For Therapists: https://sellingthecouch.com/coursekit
Mentioned in this episode:
Struggling with documentation and progress notes? Meet Upheal.
A new AI- powered, HIPPA-compliant platform that creates automated session notes and analytics for busy mental health professionals. Whether online or in person, Upheal captures your sessions and creates pre-drafted progress notes and insights that you can simply review and edit. And, it even creates Treatment plans with SMART goals included! Visit https://sellingthecouch.com/upheal and enter the promo code “COUCH25” for a special 25% off a paid plan for the first 2 months just for STC fans.
Need Community Support? Join the Mastermind
If you are a seasoned therapist, and you are wanting to move from clinical to online course income, we actually have a specific mastermind for therapists who are doing this. We meet together to build and grow and scale our online courses. You can learn more about that mastermind over at https://sellingthecouch.com/mastermind.