Welcome to Session 300! I never even imagined reaching this point, and I’m very grateful to be at this milestone. I love everything about connecting with people through podcasting, so thank you for joining me on this journey. Today’s show is a coaching call about online courses and the imposter syndrome that sneaks in with fear and doubt. Join us to learn more!
Our Featured Guest for today’s coaching call:
Nikki Sewell, LCSW
Nikki Sewell was part of our beta group for Online Course School’s eight-week live experience where we went through each step from start to finish in setting up your online course. Nikki is ready to get her pilot students into her course, but she has encountered a lot of fear around charging her worth for her grief course for therapists. Nikki built a successful private practice focusing on the niche of grief counseling, motivated by losing her father to suicide during her grad school years and suddenly losing her husband at age 41 back in 2013. Join the coaching call with Nikki and Melvin!
● How Nikki found her niche in grief counseling with widows, suicide survivors, and orphaned adults
● Why Nikki views her grief counseling work as something beautiful that empowers people to see “what’s lost, what’s left, and what’s possible”
● How Nikki decided to create her online course to help other grief and trauma therapists
● Why the best online courses combine clinical training with personal experience–like Nikki is doing
● How money blocks, shame, and internal voices get in the way to create imposter syndrome for Nikki
● The new perspective: Nikki’s course is helping clinicians to become better clinicians, help their clients more fully, and become better business owners (who make more money)
● Why we struggle with shame in charging what we are worth because we are a “helping profession”
● How Nikki can implement the same steps in charging for her online course that she employed in establishing her private practice
● How to take a “ladder view” of our expertise and experience, realizing that there are always people on lower rungs who need your help
● Why it’s better to take the tortoise approach and pace yourself in launching a course
RESOURCES TO GUIDE YOUR BUSINESS JOURNEY
Disclosures: Please note that all opinions are my own and based on my personal experience. Sponsors are acknowledged. Some links in the description are affiliate links where if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a commission at no additional cost to you. I use these funds to continue to create helpful content to serve our field. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
MY FREE ONLINE WORKSHOPS (These Can Be Watched At A Date/Time That Works For You):
MY FREE GUIDES:
? The Healthcasters (A podcasting course + community for helpers/healers):
? Online Course School (A course to create, sell, and grow a successful online course): COMING IN 2022 (please feel free to download the online guide course above and I can keep you updated as I'm trying to build this with ample input and care including a chance to work 1 on 1 with me!):
MY FAVORITE SOFTWARE:
? My Podcast Hosting Platform (Captivate-Includes 7 Day Free Trial):
? My All In One Online Business Platform (Kartra-Includes 14 Day Free Trial):
? What I Use For Evergreen Webinars (Easy Webinar)
? My Website Host (SiteGround-Includes Discount)
? My WebSite Theme (Divi)
MY FAVORITE GEAR:
SUBSCRIBE TO THE STC PODCAST:
Since 2015, I've hosted a weekly podcast where I interview successful therapists in private practice and other business owners to help us grow our impact + income in and beyond the therapy room.
The podcast has been downloaded over 1.2 million times and is heard in over 140 countries.
You can find also it by searching “Selling The Couch” on any podcast app (eg: Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify etc) or simply saying "Alexa, listen to Selling The Couch" on your Amazon device. =
Or simply click below for ease =).
LET'S BE FRIENDS:
? Sign up to receive the free A To Z Online Course Guide + receive the weekly STC email newsletter (trusted by over 7k colleagues)
? Instagram (I mainly post "behind the scenes" stuff about my life and business)
WHO'S THIS GUY?
Hi. I'm Melvin. I'm a psychologist (PhD), entrepreneur, and online creator living in Philadelphia, PA.
In 2014, I began to think about how to use the therapy skills we learn in grad school, and in our clinical work into different realms (e.g., podcasting, consulting, online course creation, etc).
This allows us to serve others on larger scales while diversifying our income beyond 1 to 1 work.
I make podcasts and videos about business, tech, productivity, and lessons I'm learning from becoming the CEO of a lean, mean 5 person 100% remote team (we're not really mean..it just rhymed =P).
Mentioned in this episode:
Sign up for the new online course workshop of a small launch to a $300K course at https://sellingthecouch.com/onlinecourseworkshop