ENCORE: 10 Lessons Learned from a Successful Cohort-Based Course Launch
Today’s show covers lessons I have learned from launching a successful cohort-based course (CBC). The process takes a lot of work but is very rewarding, so if a CBC is in your future, don’t miss this episode.
● How I launched my first online course, The Healthcasters, in 2015, even though I felt like an inadequate novice
● How Online Course School launched in late 2021, with 16 workshops for nine colleagues in the beta cohort group
● Ten lessons learned from my CBC launch:
○ Get your beta students through your email list, previous courses, and Mastermind class colleagues.
○ Screen the participants well. (I did this through one-on-one Zoom calls.)
○ Do welcome calls with breakout rooms, so the students get to know each other.
○ Keep the CBC length around 6-8 weeks, or structure a break after a few weeks if it is longer.
○ Have an assistant with you on all workshops.
○ Tier your support for students at multiple levels.
○ Start with the “I do/we do/you do” framework for teaching.
○ Prep your lessons ahead of time before the cohort begins–not at the same time.
○ Don’t get too high with the highs or too low with the lows.
○ Charge your worth.
Accelerator programs through Maven
RESOURCES TO GUIDE YOUR BUSINESS JOURNEY
Disclosures: Please note that all opinions are my own and based on my personal experience. Sponsors are acknowledged. Some links in the description are affiliate links where if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a commission at no additional cost to you. I use these funds to continue to create helpful content to serve our field. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
MY FREE ONLINE WORKSHOPS (These Can Be Watched At A Date/Time That Works For You):
🎙️ Using Podcasting To Grow Your Business (Lessons Learned From 9 Downloads On Day 1 To 1.2 Million And a 7 Income Stream Business)
💻 How To Launch And Grow A Successful Online Course (Lessons Learned From A $297 First Sale To $150k Online Course)
MY FREE GUIDES:
🎤 Start your Podcast: The QuickStart Guide
🎧 The Healthcasters (A podcasting course + community for helpers/healers):
💻 Online Course School (A course to create, sell, and grow a successful online course): COMING IN 2022 (please feel free to download the online guide course above and I can keep you updated as I'm trying to build this with ample input and care including a chance to work 1 on 1 with me!):
MY FAVORITE SOFTWARE:
🧳 My Podcast Hosting Platform (Captivate-Includes 7 Day Free Trial):
🚀 My All In One Online Business Platform (Kartra-Includes 14 Day Free Trial):
🤖 What I Use For Evergreen Webinars (Easy Webinar)
🌐 My Website Host (SiteGround-Includes Discount)
🎨 My WebSite Theme (Divi)
MY FAVORITE GEAR:
📔 My Online Counseling + Coaching Gear
🎥 My YouTube + Live Streaming Camera Gear
SUBSCRIBE TO THE STC PODCAST:
Since 2015, I've hosted a weekly podcast where I interview successful therapists in private practice and other business owners to help us grow our impact + income in and beyond the therapy room.
The podcast has been downloaded over 1.2 million times and is heard in over 140 countries.
You can find also it by searching “Selling The Couch” on any podcast app (eg: Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify etc) or simply saying "Alexa, listen to Selling The Couch" on your Amazon device. =
Or simply click below for ease =).
LET'S BE FRIENDS:
💌 Sign up to receive the free A To Z Online Course Guide + receive the weekly STC email newsletter (trusted by over 7k colleagues)
📸 Instagram (I mainly post "behind the scenes" stuff about my life and business)
WHO'S THIS GUY?
Hi. I'm Melvin. I'm a psychologist (PhD), entrepreneur, and online creator living in Philadelphia, PA.
In 2014, I began to think about how to use the therapy skills we learn in grad school, and in our clinical work into different realms (e.g., podcasting, consulting, online course creation, etc).
This allows us to serve others on larger scales while diversifying our income beyond 1 to 1 work.
I make podcasts and videos about business, tech, productivity, and lessons I'm learning from becoming the CEO of a lean, mean 5 person 100% remote team (we're not really mean..it just rhymed =P).
Mentioned in this episode:
You're Invited to Join the Mastermind!
Looking for a group of likeminded clinicians to help you grow your practice? You're in the right place. Check it out at https://sellingthecouch.com/mastermind.