Even with seven years or so of course-building under my belt, I certainly do not claim to be an expert with all the answers. Always the student, I’m constantly learning and tweaking the process, and I’m always happy to share my tips and valuable lessons with you. There are so many tools, equipment, formats, etc.--- and it can all be very intimidating! In today’s solo session, I’m sharing tips about my favorite recording tool, Loom. Join me now!
- Why Loom is my favorite recording tool for online courses and the STC podcast
- My tips for using Loom to record your online course videos:
- Alter the sharing style. You can record your screen, your voice, or both. I recommend a combination of all three for variety. Don't be afraid to show your fce on camera!
- Stick with one big idea per video. The “Show Recording Time” feature in Loom helps you avoid overwhelming your audience with long sessions. I try to stick to 4-7 minutes.
- Decide beforehand your format for each video. My advice is to start with what problem you’ll solve, give three tips, and share a common mistake from your personal experience.
- Create a custom thumbnail. Loom helps do this beautifully.
- Create folders in Loom before recording. It’s 100x better to organize them from the beginning.
- Invest in a mic to boost the sound quality. “Small improvements in quality lead to a big impact.”
- Record with a digital DSLR. The quality will be 100x better than what a webcam will give. You have to buy a USB Capture Card to allow the DSLR to shoot video.
- Have a very, very clear call to action. Whether the next step is to watch the next video or complete a workbook or exercise, be clear about it for your audience.
See my gear recommendations! www.kit.co/mvarghese
Check out the Mastermind! www.sellingthecouch.com/mastermind
Mentioned in this episode:
Ready to create your own course? Download the FREE Online Course Guide!
Learn how to create and market your own online course in Melvin's unique online course guide. Download the FREE online course guide today!
Sign up for the new online course workshop of a small launch to a $300K course at https://sellingthecouch.com/onlinecourseworkshop