Today’s show is a special one because we are joined by the first female-identified electrician in the state of Oregon. Breaking into an overwhelmingly male-dominated field, along with other obstacles, gave her the motivation to keep going when faced with roadblocks. Join us to hear more about this fantastic journey.
Our Featured Guest
Deb Marinos, MS, CRC, LPC
Deb Marinos has a varied career path with many diversions along the way. As a rehabilitation counselor and current LPC intern, Deb helps clients through her work as a trainer, coach, and counselor. Progressive vision loss has provided her with yet another outlet for her teaching methods and practical experiences to help others achieve their goals and be successful. Her multifaceted journey has given her a wealth of knowledge to share with us.
● How Deb followed in her father’s footsteps into the electrician world, not realizing he would have to file a lawsuit to get her into the program for licensure
● The mind-boggling fact: Only 2% of electricians in the US are female!
● How the skills of troubleshooting and puzzle-building in the electrical field carried over into Deb’s many other life endeavors
● How a vision loss problem led to a significant career change for Deb late in life
● What it was like to have to give up driving as an independent business owner and busy mom of three teenagers
● How seeing a counselor helped lay the groundwork for Deb’s work as a counselor, after forays into work as a teacher, business owner, advocate, and EMT
● How advocacy work for youth internships led to Deb’s advocacy for blindness and vision issues and led her to get her Master’s degree in rehabilitation counseling
● How Deb describes progressive vision loss and its effect on daily life and tasks
● What colleagues should consider when affirming and creating an environment for those with progressive vision loss:
○ Ask, “What do I need to know to give you information that is useful to you?”
○ Believe that people can be successful, even with progressive vision loss
*Visit Deb’s website to learn more about her services, free giveaways, classes, and YouTube channel.
Today's Podcast Sponsor: Online Course School
Online Course School: I know that many of us want to launch a successful online course whether it's to diversify our income or share our knowledge and serve others on larger levels.
But I also know that the thought of launching an online course can be super intimidating whether it's the tech, the fear that no one will buy, or figuring out how to market and scale it in an honest and ethical way.
I launched the Healthcasters online course back in 2015 and have learned A TON of lessons from the very first $297 sale to a course that will pass $200k in earnings this year (and currently brings in over $3k/month in recurring income).
Online Course School is a live, 6 week experience we're launching in 2022 where we'll spend each week learning and implementing.
It's a great chance to work with me and to join with other helpers/healers who are also launching online courses.
Seats are going to be extremely limited (just so that I can give you personalized attention), and the cost will be around $997.
Please feel free to download the FREE A to Z Online Course Guide if this is something you would LOVE support with, and I'll email you when we're live.
RESOURCES TO GUIDE YOUR BUSINESS JOURNEY
Disclosures: Please note that all opinions are my own and based on my personal experience. Sponsors are acknowledged. Some links in the description are affiliate links where if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a commission at no additional cost to you. I use these funds to continue to create helpful content to serve our field. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
MY FREE ONLINE WORKSHOPS (These can be watched at a date/time that works for you):
MY FREE GUIDES:
🎧 The Healthcasters (A podcasting course + community for helpers/healers):
💻 Online Course School (A course to create, sell, and grow a successful online course): COMING IN 2022 (please feel free to download the online guide course above and I can keep you updated as I'm trying to build this with ample input and care including a chance to work 1 on 1 with me!):
MY FAVORITE SOFTWARE:
🧳 My Podcast Hosting Platform (Captivate-Includes 7 Day Free Trial):
🚀 My All In One Online Business Platform (Kartra-Includes 14 Day Free Trial):
🤖 What I Use For Evergreen Webinars (Easy Webinar)
🌐 My Website Host (SiteGround-Includes Discount)
🎨 My WebSite Theme (Divi)
MY FAVORITE GEAR:
SUBSCRIBE TO THE STC PODCAST:
Since 2015, I've hosted a weekly podcast for aspiring and current mental health private practitioners who think differently.
On the podcast, I interview successful therapists in private practice and other business owners to help us grow our impact + income in and beyond the therapy room.
The podcast has been downloaded over 1.2 million times and is heard in over 140 countries.
You can find also it by searching “Selling The Couch” on any podcast app (eg: Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify etc) or simply saying "Alexa, listen to Selling The Couch" on your Amazon device.
Or simply click below for ease =).
LET'S BE FRIENDS:
💌 Sign up to receive the free A To Z Online Course Guide + receive the weekly STC email newsletter (trusted by over 7k colleagues)
📸 Instagram (I mainly post "behind the scenes" stuff about my life and business)
WHO'S THIS GUY?
Hi. I'm Melvin. I'm a psychologist (PhD), entrepreneur, and online creator living in Philadelphia, PA.
In 2014, I began to think about how to use the therapy skills we learn in grad school, and in our clinical work into different realms (e.g., podcasting, consulting, online course creation, etc).
This allows us to serve others on larger scales while diversifying our income beyond 1 to 1 work.
I make podcasts and videos about business, tech, productivity, and lessons I'm learning from becoming the CEO of a lean, mean 5 person 100% remote team (we're not really mean..it just rhymed =P).